*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

White Bean & Chicken Soup

Tonight we had White Bean & Chicken Soup. It is a great & easy recipe that I found in All You magazine (I seem to find a lot of recipes in that magazine!). My 2 & 4 year old even love it! As always, I've changed it up just a bit to make it just to my liking:) 

Here it is: 
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 whole chicken breasts
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2- 4oz cans roasted green chilies, drained (make sure no gluten additives) 
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 2- 15 oz cans white beans, rinsed & drained (make sure they don't have anything added to them that contain gluten, I always buy the organic kind, they have the least amount of ingredients) (if you want it to be more chili like use 3 cans beans)
  • 4 cups chicken broth (make sure it is gluten free!) (if you want it to be more chili like use only 3 cups)
  • 2 cups cooked white rice (brown would work too!) 
  • spinach leaves (Optional)
  1. Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onions & garlic for 5 minutes. 
  2. Add onions & garlic into crock pot. 
  3. Add chilies, cumin, chicken, beans, & broth .
  4. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, stirring on occasion. 
  5. Shred chicken with a fork and add rice (I like to add the rice to make it heartier soup, but you don't have to add rice, the original recipe doesn't call for it). 
  6. Add salt & pepper to taste.
  7. Soup is ready to be served! 
I like to put a handful of spinach leaves at the bottom of my bowl and poor the soup over them and let them wilt. It is an easy way to get more spinach in my diet. 

My husband likes his soup with sour cream and cheddar cheese on top...this tortures me a bit. If you can have dairy, I would suggest trying it, it looks good! 

1 comment:

  1. This was so delicious Val. Thanks for sharing with me and John (who loved it so much he had two bowls full). You are a fabulous cook!

    ReplyDelete