*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Split Pea Soup, gluten & dairy free!

Split Pea soup has always been one of my favorite soups. I was shocked to find out that most of the store bought ones contain wheat and the few that don't are not so good. I found this simple and delicious recipe in All You magazine and now it is the only pea soup we eat. 

Makes 8 servings

  • 2 bay leaves
  • 5 allspice berries (I only have ground all spice so I just add a dash and it tastes great!)
  • 10 whole peppercorns (I only have ground peppercorns so I just add 2 dashes) 
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 1 lb dried split peas, rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups diced ham (Make sure it is gluten free, some brands add fillers)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 ribs celery, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 6 cups chicken broth (make sure it is gluten free, many have gluten in them!)
  1. Place all the ingredients in a crock pot and stir. 
  2. Cover and cook on high until peas are falling apart (about 4 hours). If we aren't ready to eat yet I just turn it down to low and let it simmer until dinner time. 
  3. Ladle into bowls and enjoy! 
I was reading the pea package before I made this last weekend and I was shocked at how good peas are for you. One serving has 12 grams of protein & 12 grams of fiber. How amazing is that?! 


No comments:

Post a Comment