*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies (gluten, dairy, & egg free)

One of the things I have missed the most being gluten free is a really good chocolate chip cookie. I've tried many mixes and store bought cookies and there are plenty of decent ones, but I've yet to find the perfect one. I started experimenting the other night and I was pretty happy with the results. I think the difference is that I used a combo of oats & flour which made the texture less grainy. I used the recipe off the back of the Nestle Toll House package and then changed it up a bit. I used egg replacer & earth balance so these are dairy and egg free too (the chocolate chips I used have milkfat in them but you can use dairy free chocolate chips to make them 100% dairy free if you wish). 

Preheat ove to 375 degrees
  • 1 3/4 cups gluten free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill)
  • 3/4 cup gluten free oats
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup earth balance buttery spread
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tsp egg replacer (I used Energ G) mixed with 4 tbsp water. Mix until frothy before adding to batter. 
  • 1 package (12 oz) chocolate chips. 
  1. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, & salt in small bowl. 
  2. Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, & vanilla in large bowl until mixed well. 
  3. Add the egg replacer mixture (make sure you have mixed it well before adding it, I've just dumped it in before and it doesn't work!)
  4. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture. 
  5. Add chocolate chips. 
  6. Drop round balls on cookie sheet & bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. 
Let them cool for a few minutes before removing them from the cookie sheet. I find that cookies made with egg replacer are a bit more brittle until they have settled. 

Enjoy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment