*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gluten Free Breakfast Bars

My amazing naturopath, Christine Bowen (http://www.bothellnaturalhealth.com/), who I LOVE sent me this recipe the other day. (When is the last time your doctor sent you a recipe out of the blue? Pretty amazing, huh?!) I made them yesterday and they came out pretty good. The only thing I'd change is the amount of agave nectar- they just weren't quite sweet enough for my taste, so I'd add more. But I drizzled some honey on mine this morning and it was delicious. What impressed me the most is that I just had one of these and a glass of orange juice for breakfast and I really was full until lunch, which is very rare for me.
Here is the recipe:

Gluten Free Breakfast Bars

1 ¼ cup blanched almond flour (I used almond meal and it worked fine)

¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt (used regular sea salt, wasn't sure what celtic sea salt was)

¼ teaspoon baking soda

¼ cup grapeseed oil (found this with the olive oil at Fred Meyer)

¼ cup agave nectar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

½ cup shredded coconut (I used the unsweetened kind to keep it sugar free, found it in the natural food section, made by Bob's Red Mill)

½ cup pumpkin seeds

½ cup sunflower seeds

¼ cup almond slivers

¼ cup raisins

1. In a small bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda

2. In a large bowl, combine grapeseed oil, agave and vanilla

3. Stir dry ingredients into wet

4. Mix in coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almond slivers and raisins

5. Grease an 8x8 baking dish with grapeseed oil

6. Press the dough into the baking dish, wetting your hands with water to help pat the dough down evenly

7. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes

8. Serve

Makes 12-16 bars

No comments:

Post a Comment