*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Specialty Items I can't live without

Ideally I like to buy things that are naturally gluten free & that I can buy at the "regular" grocery stores. However, there are some items that I just can't live without and I make special trips to specialty stores to get them. I try to stock up so I only have to go once a month or so. Udi's bread is one of the items we can't live without. It is by the far the closest to the real thing. My kids love it and so do I. We eat it cold or hot and make all kinds of sandwiches and toast with it. It is a bit spendy at about $5-$6 per loaf, but well worth it.
Every summer since I can remember I've made S'mores. I was really upset when I thought I'd have to pass on the S'mores this summer until I came across these little delights. I LOVE them & so do my kids. In fact they like to eat them as a snack and want them all the time, which I try to discourage since they are about $4.50 a box and kind of hard to come by. I buy them at Savory Moment in Redmond and they sell out quick. The other day I saw them at Central Market too so hopefully they are expanding their sales!
These pretzels are amazing! Everyone who eats them loves them and people always say, "I had no idea these were gluten free." They are actually easier to find, I can get these at Fred Meyer. As far as pretzels go, they are a bit pricey at $4-$5 a bag. But they totally satisfy that salty crunchy craving and I think they are worth the money!
This dairy, soy & gluten free "cheese" is a fabulous alternative. I buy it at Savory Moment and I use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches (with my Udi's bread) and Nacho's (with the multi grain chips I listed yesterday). It actually melts and while it doesn't taste just like cheese, it does the trick. I prefer the cheddar style to the mozzarella style.

No comments:

Post a Comment