*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

This reallly bothers me

I know this blog is supposed to be about all things gluten and dairy free, but I feel like this needs to be posted here. When I started eating gluten and dairy free I really started to notice all the fillers and chemicals that are added to so many ingredient lists. I found this to be gross and disturbing and have started to buy a lot more organic and more whole foods. But organic is expensive so I usually kind of weigh out the price difference. If the Organic is .20 cents more per lb I buy it, if it is $2.00 more per lb I don't. But after reading
this article that a friend of mine posted on Facebook yesterday: http://www.rodale.com/methyl-iodide-0
specifically this part below, I will be buying as much organic as I can. Check out the part I highlighted in yellow. How disgusting is that, and we wonder why there are so many health and reproduction issues these days? Hmm...could it be all the junk that is added to our food?

WHAT IT MEANS: One more reason to buy organic. While it is unlikely that methyl iodide injected into strawberry fields pre-planting will wind up on or in the nonorganic strawberries you buy at the store, rest assured those conventionally grown berries could be teeming with other toxic compounds. That's because many chemical farmers rely on a cocktail of pesticides to help compensate for chemically destroyed soil quality. For example, according to Pesticide Action Network's What's on my food? tool, which uses U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Pesticide Data Program numbers, 55 percent of conventional strawberries contained residues of the fungicide Captan, a probable human carcinogen, according to the EPA. In total, tests turned up 54 pesticide residues on strawberries, including eight known or probable carcinogens, 24 suspected hormone disruptors, 11 neurotoxins, and 12 developmental or reproductive toxicants.


I was happy to see that Washington State does not allow methyl iodide to be used in this state, but I'm sure we have plenty of these other chemicals in use. But still, way to go Washington! 

**If you read the full article (which you should), there is a link at the end to sign a petition to stop the use of these chemicals. I signed it, you should too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment