*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Meatball Sliders

 I made a new meatball recipe this week and it was soooo good! These are pretty healthy little meatballs too. We liked them as sliders, but I actually think they'd be really good with spaghetti. 
 Since gluten free slider rolls aren't exactly easy to come by (though I know there are a few out there) I made my own biscuits in mini muffin tins. Next time I'd make them in regular size muffin tins, or make the meatballs smaller. I used Pamela's bread mix for the muffins which is also dairy free! 
I toasted the biscuits with a little mozzarella cheese (we were living on the edge that night and ate a little dairy!) and covered them some marinara sauce and voila! Yummy meatball sliders! 

Here is the recipe (from All You magazine)
Ingredients: 
  • 1 lb organic ground beef
  • 5 oz frozen spinach, thawed, rinsed, & drained
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • salt & pepper
  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 1 cup marinara sauce (I used Classico)
  • gluten free dinner rolls (or gluten free pasta if going the spaghetti route)
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional) 
Directions: 
  1. Mix ground beef, spinach, onion, garlic, and 1 tsp each of salt & pepper in a large bowl. 
  2. Gently shape meat mixture into small balls. 
  3. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs on each side until cooked all the way through (about 15 minutes). 
  4. Warm marinara sauce in saucepan over low heat. 
  5. If desired, melt cheese on biscuits in oven. 
  6. Top  half of biscuit with meatball and drizzle marinara on sauce. Cover with the other half of biscuit to make a sandwich. 
  7. Enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried buffalo mozzarella? You can get it at Central Market, Trader Joe's, and most of the time Costco. Its a little pricey but oh so delicious and non-dairy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never even heard of it, sounds like I'm missing out! I will be buying some this week for sure! Thanks for the tip!!! Hey, you are friends with Megan, right? I know I've seen your name and profile pic somewhere before. Thanks for stopping by here:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to BHS with Megan back in the day :) I love all of your little tips, I have been GF for a little over 2 years and dairy free for a LONG time. Its always nice being reminded that I am not the only one missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe was super yummy and I loved how easy it was. I made the full recipe (I usually half things for just the two of us); we had it for 4 days straight and loved it every time. Thanks for another winner Val!

    ReplyDelete