*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chinese Chicken Salad, gluten & dairy free

 I love Chinese Chicken salad and I especially loved the old recipe I had. Unfortunately it called for Top Ramen noodles and the Oriental Spice pack that comes with them. I know the noodles have gluten in them and can pretty much guarantee that spice pack has gluten as well as tons of msg and all sorts of other stuff that has an infinite shelf life, so I knew I couldn't use that recipe. 
I did some searching and came across a recipe on cooks.com that looked pretty good and I changed it a little bit so it'd be just right. It was soooo good, Kevin loved it too. I think it is equally as good as my old recipe, if not better. Plus it doesn't have an infinite shelf life, which I think is a plus:) 

Ingredients:
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into chunks (I poached mine)
  • 3 tbsp gluten free teriyaki sauce
  • 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
  • 1/2 head cabbage
  • 3 stalks green onion, I used the green & white parts
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
  • 1/4 package maifun noodles (cook according to package directions, these are messy but so fun to watch puff up and cook, my whole family was quite entertained!) I used the Sun Luk brand, found them at Fred Meyer in the Asian food section. 
Dressing:
  • 1/8 c sesame oil (I didn't have any, just used Omega 3 Vegetable oil)
  • 1/8 c grapeseed or olive oil 
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
Directions:
  1. Cook chicken and cut into chunks. While preparing the salad toss the cooked chicken with teriyaki sauce and let cool. 
  2. Wash and chop lettuce and cabbage and mix together. 
  3. Add sliced green onion and cilantro. 
  4. Toast sesame seeds & almonds (I toasted them together at the same time). Let cool, then mix in with salad. 
  5. Make dressing, set aside. 
  6. Make maifun noodles according to directions. Let cool on a paper towel for a few minutes. 
  7. Toss salad together and add maifun. 
  8. This salad is best served cool, enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment