*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Veggie Spaghetti

Tonight I took a chance with dinner and didn't know which way it'd go. I told my family we were having spaghetti but I didn't mention that I wasn't using pasta. I've always heard that spaghetti squash makes a great substitute for noodles but I've never tried it. So I gave it a shot and it wasn't just a hit, it was a home run! Lauren cleaned her plate in 3 minutes flat and asked for seconds and Kevin said he'd have this in place of noodles any day!

Here's how I made it: 

preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • olive oil
  • 1 1/2 jar marinara sauce of choice (make sure it's gluten free)
  • 2 carrots, finely chopped
  • 1 head of broccoli, finely chopped
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic salt 
  • 1 lb hamburger (or ground turkey) (optional) 
  1. Cut squash in 1/2 lengthwise, remove the guts
  2. Lay squash halves in a baking dish and lightly brush with olive oil. I also sprinkled about 1/4 cup of water over them just to keep them moist. Put 1 cup of water in the baking dish. 
  3. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Check with a fork to see if squash in tender. If it isn't, sprinkle a little more water on them and bake for 10 more minutes or until tender. 
  4. While squash is baking, heat olive oil in a pan and saute onions. 
  5. Add ground beef and cook all the way through. 
  6. Add diced carrots and broccoli and saute until soft. 
  7. Add Marinara Sauce and spices (I don't like a lot of spice so I kept the amount low, feel free to adjust to taste) 
  8. Let simmer on low until the squash is done. 
  9. Fork the squash out, it will instantly shred to look like spaghetti. 
  10. Poor sauce over it and voila, you have a really healthy & delicious "spaghetti". 

No comments:

Post a Comment