*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Spiced Scallops with Avocado and Corn

This is one of my latest favorites! I have always loved scallops and order them in restaurants every chance I get but I have never been brave enough to make them on my own. This summer I decided they were so good I should learn to cook them. I found this recipe in a magazine, altered it a bit and Voila! I made scallops and they actually tasted good. My husband even said, "I feel like this is something we would order in a restaurant". Success! 


Ingredients:
  • 1 medium avocado (peeled and diced)
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice 
  • 1 1/4 lbs sea scallops (about 12) 
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
  • 1 chopped scallion
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro 
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  1. Toss diced avocado & lime juice in a bowl. Set aside. 
  2. Sprinkle scallops with salt, pepper, & cumin. Stir in a bowl until well coated. 
  3. Head oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallops, cook for a few minutes, turn, and cook for a couple more minutes. 
  4. Transfer scallops to a plate and set aside (I set my toaster oven to "keep warm" and set them in there for the few minutes I cook the corn because I don't want them to get cold.) 
  5. Add corn, scallion, & white wine (sometimes I add a dash more of cumin too if I want more flavor) to the skillet (don't clean it out, the juices left from the scallops add flavor to the corn) and cook until corn is tender- just a few minutes. 
  6. Spoon the corn mixture on the plate, put scallops on top, spoon on avocado mixture and sprinkle with fresh cilantro. 
  7. Enjoy! 
*Last time I made it I was out of limes and cilantro and it wasn't as good as when I had those items. They add a lot of zest, so make sure to include them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment