*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lemon Thyme Chicken with Zucchini & Squash


I've made this healthy & yummy dish a few times recently and it is always a hit! 
I got it out of Health magazine, I love it because it is naturally gluten free, no substitutions needed!

Ingredients: 
  • 2 tbsp lemon zest (I usually juice the lemon too and use the juice for some extra zing)
  • 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
  • 1 lb chicken breasts cut into cutlets
  • salt
  • pepper (fresh ground is best)
  • olive oil
  • 2 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 2 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth (make sure it is gluten free) 
  • quinoa
Directions: 
  1. Mix lemon zest, lemon juice, and thyme in medium sized bowl
  2. Sprinkle a little salt & pepper on the chicken, then coat in the lemon & thyme mixture. 
  3. Heat olive oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken until it is golden and cooked through (a few minutes on each side, depending on thickness). I usually pour any leftover lemon & thyme mixture in the skillet as well. 
  4. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside (to keep warm I usually set my toaster oven to warm and put the chicken on a plate in there). 
  5. Using the same skillet saute the zucchini and squash ver medium heat. I usually add a little extra olive oil. After the veggies are golden & tender (about 5 minutes) stir in the chicken broth.
  6. Add the chicken back in and let simmer another minute or two. 
  7. I usually serve this over quinoa which I make in my rice cooker. 
  8. Garnish with fresh thyme if you want to feel a bit fancy:) 
  9. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment