*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

A friend sent me this recipe for these tasty little morsels (she got the recipe off a blog but I can't remember which one) and changed it a little to make them gluten free. They are fabulous. I love them. They are calling my name in the fridge as I type this. I'll probably never make them again unless I take every single one of them to a party because they are too dangerous to have in my house. But I promise you, they are delicious.
p.s.- even though Reese's Peanut Butter cups are listed as not containing gluten, my daughter and I both get sick every time we eat them, so we don't. Does anyone else have that same reaction? I'd love to know.  

Here is the recipe:
*makes 24 mini cups (use mini cupcake tin)

                3 cups chocolate, I used Nestle Semi Sweet
                1 cup peanut butter, I used Adam's All Natural Crunch
                1/2 cup powdered sugar
                1/4 cup honey rice Chex, crushed
                1 teaspoon sea salt

1. Place cupcake liners in cupcake tins. 
2. Melt chocolate. You can use a double boiler if you have one (I don't yet!), a sauce pan on low heat with constant stirring, or 10 second bursts in the microwave with stirring in between until melted. 
3. Once chocolate is melted put a spoonful in each cup and use a brush to paint the chocolate up the sides of the cupcake liners. I didn't have time to fully do this so I just plopped chocolate in each cup and it still worked, just looked more layered. 
4. Place cupcake tins in the fridge for about 10 minutes so chocolate can set, set aside the rest of the melted chocolate.
5. Meanwhile, mix peanut butter, crushed Chex, powdered sugar, & sea salt. 
6. When chocolate is set, pull out of fridge and put little balls of peanut butter mixture in each tin (about 2 tbsp each). 
7. Use melted chocolate (I had to reheat mine for about 10 seconds) to fill the cups. Put back in fridge to completely set. 
8. Enjoy! 

These need to be stored in fridge, but are best to eat at close to room temp. I take them out of the fridge for 10 minutes or so before eating. I took these to a party this weekend and they were quite the hit! While they aren't exactly "healthy" they are a lot better for you than the store bought Reese's Peanut Butter Cups because all the ingredients are whole and recognizable:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment