*Not all foods listed here are certified gluten free, they are simply made without gluten containing ingredients. You'll need to decide for yourself what foods you are comfortable eating.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

I need help answering a question

Does anyone know the answer to this: If a chicken is fed wheat bread crumbs will the egg it lays contain gluten? 
A friend of mine raises chickens and feeds them bread. I recently ate some of her eggs and got so so sick within a few hours of eating them. I am still feeling the effects 3 days later, I definitely feel as if I've been "glutened" but just can't seem to find the culprit other than the eggs. 
If anyone knows the answer or has a thought on this, I'd love to know. I've googled the questioned a bunch of different ways and just can't seem to get an answer. 
Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. That's so interesting -- since going gluten-free, I've had issues everytime I eat eggs, but hadn't even considered that it might be due to what the chicken was fed. I'm going to check back on your comments to see if anyone knows the answer. By the way, I love your blog -- and have been trying lots of your recipe ideas for my 2 year old son and me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie- So glad to hear you enjoy my blog, I love hearing that! Thank you:) A friend sent me this link:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080718185056AABJByz
    it doesn't exactly answer the question but suggest it could be an issue. I think most chickens are fed corn and not wheat so I don't think store bought eggs are an issue, it's more if you get them from a farm. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else!

    ReplyDelete